activemq-users mailing list archives

From "john.horner" <john.hor...@openroadsconsulting.com>
Subject durable consumers and broker failure
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 20:46:43 GMT
I have a simple network of brokers, and the behavior of my durable consumers
is not what I'm expecting.

My network consists of two brokers with a producer sending messages to one,
and a consumer listening to the the other.  It looks like this:

producer-->brokerP-->brokerC-->consumer

I'm using 5.5.1 and my broker configs are straight out of the box.  The only
things I changes on the configs are:

brokerName
brokerId
Network connection on brokerP as follows:

The consumer uses a simple failover connection as follows:

(It's on the same machine as brokerC.)

On a clean startup everything works fine.  Messages go all the way through
and the admin interfaces of both brokerP and brokerC show an active durable
subscription.

Then I kill brokerC.  At this time the admin interface of brokerP shows an
inactive durable subscription.  This seems fine.  I restart brokerC and the
consumer reconnects, but no messages come through.  The admin interface of
brokerP still shows the durable subscription as inactive.  If I restart my
consumer (still using the same client id) then messages start flowing and
the admin interface of brokerP shows the durable subscription as active.

It doesn't seem like I should have to restart the consumer.  Am I correct
that messages should automatically start flowing again once the broker
restarts, and if so what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
John