activemq-users mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Confusing docs about disabling flow control
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 03:19:25 GMT
So is the community abandoning its documentation in favor of the fuse documentation?  I've
seen similar replies a few times to go look at fuse docs vs. what is on the activemq.apache.org
site before.

Would be nice to have a single concise location to find the most current/accurate/comprehensive
documentation for the project.

--jason

On Jan 30, 2012, at 1:41 AM, Torsten Mielke wrote:

> Hello Jason,
>
> Yes, you can simply set producerFlowControl=false on an out-of-the-box broker configuration
without having to change the underlying cursor.
> When disabling flow control, make sure to set upper limits for storeUsage tempUsage and
memoryUsage to prevent the broker from running out of disk space or heap memory.

> There is perhaps better documentation provided by FuseSource on this topic
> http://fusesource.com/products/enterprise-activemq/#documentation
>
> Also see the persistence guide which has a full chapter on message cursors
> http://fusesource.com/docs/broker/5.5/persistence/index.html
>

> Hope this helps,
>

> Torsten Mielke
> torsten@fusesource.com
> tmielke@blogspot.com
>

> On Jan 29, 2012, at 2:36 AM, Jason Dillon wrote:
>
>> Near the bottom of this page http://activemq.apache.org/producer-flow-control.html
it shows:

>> <snip>
>> Disabling Flow Control
>> A common requirement is to disable flow control so that message dispatching continues
until all available disk is used up by pending messages (whether persistent or non persistent
messaging is configured). To do this enable Message Cursors.
>> </snip>
>>
>> And then on the page it refers http://activemq.apache.org/message-cursors.html the
documentation suggests that the default cursor is the store impl.

>> If I want (and do) to use the default store impl but I want to disable flow control
(as it says above) then there really is nothing to do related to message cursors, but only
to set producerFlowControl=false for the destinations?  The documentation here is not clear.

>> Its also a bit confusing at the bottom of this page, where it covers "Configuring
Cursors" that it also configures things like dispatch policy and deal letter strategy.  How
are these related to cursors?

>> Also this document covers 3 cursors types vm, file and store, but the configuration
guide at the bottom only states that vmCursor and fileCursor (for example) are valid.