activemq-users mailing list archives

From Matt Pavlovich <mattr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JMS specific failover capabilities
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2012 15:02:52 GMT
Zagan-

Are you seeing the same problem I saw with the SAP adapter, where it
wouldn't allow you to set a failover URL in the SAP PI JMS configuration
screen?  ie.. you can only point it to the master, and not the master+slave?

The updateClusterClients option in ActiveMQ, allows you to set one host
in the client side URL-- "tcp://master1:61616", and the broker will tell
the client about other brokers in the broker network.  This allows for
dynamically adding brokers to the network, w/o having to update client
URLs all the time.

The SAP problem that I saw, was that you couldn't specify the failover
URI for a master and slave-- ERROR:
"failover:(tcp://master1:61616,tcp://slave1:61616)", and we were stuck
only using one broker in the URI-- WORKS: tcp://master1:61616.

In order to provide failover and HA for the SAP PI connection, we used
the updateClusterClient feature and we were able to get HA w/o having to
wait for the SAP bug to be fixed.

The catch with updateClusterClients, is that it doesn't know about
slaves until they become active, so that's why you would need to masters
and two slaves to work around the SAP issue.

Hope this clears it up!
Matt Pavlovich