activemq-users mailing list archives

From Matt Pavlovich <mattr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Confusing docs about disabling flow control
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 16:05:27 GMT
Hi Jason-

The community has definitely not abandoned the community documentation.
As with many open source projects, there are only a few people dedicated
to it full-time vs hundreds of users.

I don't think Fuse is trying to corner the documentation on the product
or anything.  Their docs are free.  I look at it akin to a blogger
posting something useful on his blog, instead of the community site.

I agree that single doc location is ideal, but volunteer resources are
limited and mostly dedicated to solving code issues.  If you know anyone
that would like to help organize the community docs, I'm sure it
wouldn't be hard to get them tied in.

Thanks,
Matt Pavlovich

Media|Driver

On 1/31/12 9:19 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:
> So is the community abandoning its documentation in favor of the fuse documentation?
 I've seen similar replies a few times to go look at fuse docs vs. what is on the activemq.apache.org
site before.

> Would be nice to have a single concise location to find the most current/accurate/comprehensive
documentation for the project.

> --jason
>

> On Jan 30, 2012, at 1:41 AM, Torsten Mielke wrote:
>
>> Hello Jason,
>>
>> Yes, you can simply set producerFlowControl=false on an out-of-the-box broker configuration
without having to change the underlying cursor.
>> When disabling flow control, make sure to set upper limits for storeUsage tempUsage
and memoryUsage to prevent the broker from running out of disk space or heap memory.

>> There is perhaps better documentation provided by FuseSource on this topic
>> http://fusesource.com/products/enterprise-activemq/#documentation
>>
>> Also see the persistence guide which has a full chapter on message cursors
>> http://fusesource.com/docs/broker/5.5/persistence/index.html
>>

>> Hope this helps,
>>

>> Torsten Mielke
>> torsten@fusesource.com
>> tmielke@blogspot.com
>>

>> On Jan 29, 2012, at 2:36 AM, Jason Dillon wrote:
>>
>>> Near the bottom of this page http://activemq.apache.org/producer-flow-control.html
it shows:

>>> <snip>
>>> Disabling Flow Control
>>> A common requirement is to disable flow control so that message dispatching continues
until all available disk is used up by pending messages (whether persistent or non persistent
messaging is configured). To do this enable Message Cursors.
>>> </snip>
>>>
>>> And then on the page it refers http://activemq.apache.org/message-cursors.html
the documentation suggests that the default cursor is the store impl.

>>> If I want (and do) to use the default store impl but I want to disable flow control
(as it says above) then there really is nothing to do related to message cursors, but only
to set producerFlowControl=false for the destinations?  The documentation here is not clear.

>>> Its also a bit confusing at the bottom of this page, where it covers "Configuring
Cursors" that it also configures things like dispatch policy and deal letter strategy.  How
are these related to cursors?

>>> Also this document covers 3 cursors types vm, file and store, but the configuration
guide at the bottom only states that vmCursor and fileCursor (for example) are valid.