activemq-users mailing list archives

From Zagan <>
Subject Choosing the right HA option
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 08:11:40 GMT
Hello again,

at the moment I am analysing and evaluating the different Active MQ HA

At the Active MQ instance level I found
* Shared Nothing Master/Slave > two separate instances
* Shared Database Master/Slave > two instances, active-passive, sharing the
same database
* Shared File System Master/Slave > two instances, active-passive, sharing
the same filesystem

At the Active MQ client config level I found
* failover protocol

At the moment I favor using Shared Database Master/Slave using an Oracle RAC
DB to eliminate
the single point of failure on the message persistence layer.

Under Oracle DB is listed as
supported database.
Do you know
- which versions are supported?
- is a RAC failover transparent to the Active MQ instance?
- how is the message persisted in Oracle DB? As BLOB? Can I configure the
persistence (i.e. to SQL query by Message Id)?
- which database is best supported?
- how big is performance impact, if I locate Master, Slave and Oracle DB on
different systems compared to a single broker instance using local file
- Is special configuration of the broker instance needed due to the
increased latency?
- Is Shared Database faster than Shared Filesystem?

Thanks for any help!