activemq-users mailing list archives

From Torsten Mielke <tors...@fusesource.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ thread usage
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2011 08:52:30 GMT
Hello,

That diagram does not list all threads but only those threads that are used for dispatching
msgs.
There are additional threads used in ActiveMQ.
By default there is one thread used for each destination and one thread for each client connection.
Plus a few extra threads for KahaDB and other features.

On tuning the brokers threading configuration, I suggest the ActiveMQ Tuning Guide from FuseSource.com:
http://fusesource.com/docs/broker/5.5/tuning/front.html. However it requires upfront registration.

Hope this helps as a starting point.

Torsten Mielke
torsten@fusesource.com
tmielke@blogspot.com

On Nov 29, 2011, at 1:29 AM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> How accurate is this document wrt ActiveMQ 5.5.1?  Is there a better place to find relevant
details about thread usage/meaning/configuration?

> http://fusesource.com/wiki/display/ProdInfo/Understanding+the+Threads+Allocated+in+ActiveMQ
>
> I see threads with names like:
>
> ActiveMQ Transport tcp:...
> ActiveMQ Transport Server: tcp...
> ActiveMQ Transport Server Thread Handler: tcp...
> ActiveMQConnection[ID...] Scheduler
> ActiveMQ Task-*
> ActiveMQ Session Task-*
> InactivityMonitor ReadCheck
> InactivityMonitor WriteCheck
> InactivityMonitor Async Task: *
> ActiveMQ Broker[...] Scheduler
> BrokerService[...] Task-*
> ActiveMQ Data File Writer
> ActiveMQ Journal Checkpoint Worker
> KahaDB Scheduler
>
> How do these threads line up to those described in this document?  What are the other
threads for?  I know that some are obviously for Kaha persistence, and some of these are for
the client side transport vs. server-side transport, but I'd rather not assume what they are
for.

> I didn't find much documentation about what these threads are or how to configure the
pools which are used.  Most google search end up pointing back at this document referenced
above.  Its a very good document, except that its not clear how the threads in the document
relate to actually thread names used at runtime.

> Can anyone please help line up the thread names to their use and how they relate to the
thread usage explanation in this document?