activemq-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Oestreicher <oes...@gmail.com>
Subject peer protocol - wait for discovery
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2011 15:37:07 GMT
Hi,

I'm working on a multi-user Swing application where it would be nice if
users could be informed about updates made by others in real-time. For
this application it is pretty much a convenience feature so it's not
necessary for correct operation.
After looking into ActiveMQ I discovered the Peer protocol which seems
to be exactly what I need because I don't want to use a central server.
I made a small test example which seemed to work perfectly.

But one thing I would like to do is send a message on application start
to announce the client to the others.  Unfortunately I'm not sure how to
get this to work because if I immediately send a message after starting
the connection it's only delivered to the embedded broker. Calling
Thread.sleep for a short time before sending the message makes it work.
So I guess that's because it takes some time until the discovery is
finished, but how can I wait for that? I stumbled upon Advisories and it
sounds like maybe that's what I need but I'm having a hard time finding
more information about this. I'm quite new to JMS so please forgive my
ignorance.

I would appreciate any pointers.

You can see the relevant part of the test code I used here, in case it
makes any difference: http://pastebin.com/NsZmu79m

thanks,
Stefan