activemq-users mailing list archives

From Torsten Mielke <tors...@fusesource.com>
Subject Re: limit to number of consumers registered
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:56:09 GMT
> so is there any issue if
> I register, say, 250 consumers in this manner?

No, that should be fine. Some users connect thousands of consumers to one broker instance.
Make sure the broker JVM has enough heap memory to hold all threads.

> it seems like ActiveMQ
> prefers all consumers to be registered up front, before starting the
> connection.

No, thats not the case. From the description I am not sure what your problem is but for queue
messages
the broker will dispatch all msgs in round robin fashion equally to all connected consumers
(assuming 6
consumers prefetch limit is not reached).
If new consumers come and go the broker will be aware of it and include/exclude them in its
dispatching.

Try testing and verifying this behavior using a small number of consumers. Then scale up.

Torsten Mielke
torsten@fusesource.com
tmielke@blogspot.com