activemq-users mailing list archives

From peterv <peter.va...@gmail.com>
Subject limit to number of consumers registered
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 14:43:20 GMT
I'm using asynchronous delivery for my consumers.
I want to have parallel processing of messages, so I want to register
numerous consumers for the same JMS queue, with each one having its own
session of course. Is there a limit to the number of consumers I should
register this way? I know ActiveMQ won't start a thread to call the consumer
until it actually has a message to deliver to it - so is there any issue if
I register, say, 250 consumers in this manner?

I tried to register additional consumers "on the fly" (i.e. when I detect
that I have as many consumers registered as there are threads processing
messages), and then killing off inactive consumers (i.e. the ones that
haven't received a message in the past X minutes) but this strategy doesn't
seem to work very well. I am finding that ActiveMQ doesn't always deliver
new messages to a 'newly registered' consumer in this case. I'm finding that
I have consumers available (not processing a message) but new messages
aren't getting delivered to that consumer until a previous consumer (that
was processing a message) completes its processing... it seems like ActiveMQ
prefers all consumers to be registered up front, before starting the
connection.