activemq-users mailing list archives

From "R.I.Pienaar" <...@devco.net>
Subject Re: MySQL active/passive cluster not recovering from master power failure
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 12:17:19 GMT

----- Original Message -----

> > How did you simulate such error?
> > I have tested JDBC master/slave in the past and killed -9 the
> > master.
> > The lock on the database was released immediately and so the slave
> > was able to take over.
> >
> > Have never simulated a kernel panic though.
> > Do you use a default MySQL configuration?
>
> not simulated, the box died :P
>
> I am working on the assumption that it is the default mysql
> wait_timeout of
> 8 hours that caused it to not notice the machine go away and so didnt
> release the lock.
>
> Busy testing how activemq behave if I drop this to a low number

Indeed this was the problem, setting wait_timeout=60 in the my.cnf
of the mysql server solves this,

I tested this using 2 virtual machines and just using the suspend feature
to stop the one dead in its tracks, without setting wait_timeout failover
doesnt happen.  With setting it to 60 failover happens in ~ 60 seconds.

hth
--
R.I.Pienaar