activemq-users mailing list archives

From Walter Closenfleight <>
Subject How to deal with failures on a queue
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2011 17:54:01 GMT
I'm confused on how to deal with failures.

If any part of my logic in the processMsg (below) fails (external resources
not available, wrong parameters passed in queueMsg, etc.) then I do not want
the message to be dequeued. I realize, however, that the message will then
just fire again and keep failing. So, how do I deal with failures? If the
message in the queueMsg is important and I don't want to lose its data, how
can I prevent that from happening? Perhaps I could bundle the queueMsg into
a failures area on my machine and analyze them programmatically or by hand
at a later time.

*public* *void* processMsg(QueueMessage queueMsg) {

  // check if database available, if not, put this message back on queue or
store somewhere