activemq-users mailing list archives

From Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject Re: New to Apollo
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2011 13:16:00 GMT
Hi Darren,

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Darren Govoni <darren@ontrenet.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  I am testing out Apollo MQ for my app. I had to switch off ActiveMQ because
> it couldn't handle the load. One newbie question.
>
> How do you cleanly shutdown the broker? There doesn't seem to be a 'stop'
> directive similar to 'run'.

If you log into the admin console at:
http://localhost:61680/broker

Then you should see a shutdown button.  The default admin id/password
is admin/password.

> Also, if you do kill the broker sigkill, it corrupts the database and i will
> no
> longer start. It should recover gracefully in all unusual circumstances
> IMHO.

I agree.  Which message store were you using?  The default
`jdbm2_store`? JDBM2 has a nice Apache friendly license but much less
robust than the BDB implementation.  I'd recommend that you switch to
BDB as soon as possible.   Hopefully we can find a better embedded
database to use as a default which can also be re-distributed by
Apache.  For more info see:

http://activemq.apache.org/apollo/documentation/getting-started.html#Installing_Recommended_Optional_Features

> Lastly, I throttle a bunch of messages through it with 16 connections and
> it quickly becomes unresponsive, but I will do more tests today.

I'd love to hear more about it.  Message size, destination type, # of
consumers, etc.

> Darren

Regards,
Hiram