activemq-users mailing list archives

From Frank Gynnild <fr...@gynnild.com>
Subject Random hang waiting to consume a message
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 21:17:23 GMT
Hi everyone

The problem:
I have a random issue using ActiveMQ 5.5 and the latest NMS library from
.NET.
A unit test creates and sends 1 000 000 messages of random size.
Simultaneously
a consumer tries to pick up these messages as fast as it can. Most of
the times
all messages are received as expected, but every now and then this situation
occurs:
1) After x number of messages, the consumer stops picking up messages.
2) The producer continues to send messages until all messages are sent.
I've also tried it from different machines, and the problem occurs randomly.

The symptoms:
- When this occurs, browsing messages on the queue in the ActiveMQ
console, shows no messages on the queue (the number of pending messages
are there,
but the list of messages can't be viewed).
- There's no error or trace in the ActiveMQ log when this happens.

Workaround:
- The only way I've found to recover from this situation is to restart
the ActiveMQ.
- In the ActiveMQ log, I always see these lines:
2011-08-16 22:54:49,848 | INFO  | Recovering from the journal ... |
org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.MessageDatabase | main
2011-08-16 22:54:49,849 | INFO  | Recovery replayed 1 operations from
the journal in 0.109 seconds. |
org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.MessageDatabase | main
- The unit test pick up from where it left and completes (I'm using the
fail over protocol).

Is this a known bug? Is there a work around that doesn't involve
restarting the ActiveMQ service?

Best regards,
Frank