activemq-users mailing list archives

From praveen27 <>
Subject Re: Upstream throttling and backlog
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2011 03:51:47 GMT
I have a similar similar setup (flow control turned off)

producer ==> EmbeddedConsumer ==> consumer. Producers producing messages to
kaha persisted topics

In the test setup we have
10 producers per virtual-topic with 10 topics. There are 10 consumers for
each virtual topic
i.e., total of 100 producers, 100 consumers & 10 topics.

*Issue 1: *
When both producer and consumers are up and running we get a very good
throughput from the setup. When consumers don't consume the messages the
producer throughput *drops by 90%*

*Issue 2:*
We see ~750 threads in the system. 100 threads for producers, 100 threads
for consumers is what we can account for. Not able understand why there are
~550 threads used by ActiveMQ. Even if we account 1 thread each for producer
& consumer we account for 200 off of 550.

Appreciate we can get a response explain this backlog issue and high
resource usage.