activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Martin C." <mart...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: Fwd: Message groups enhancement feature request
Date Sat, 02 Jul 2011 12:48:18 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 4:00 PM, boday <ben.oday@initekconsulting.com> wrote:
> Martin, message groups (by design) guarantee that only a single consumer will
> process messages for a group at a time.

Yes, I am aware of that. My problem at the moment is only, that it
will always be the SAME consumer processing the message group, which
will not (as also indicated in the documentation) take advantage of
other idle/new consumers available. I don't want the ordering
semantics changed, they are very fine and good the way they are.

> It preserves ordering of
> related/group messages by single threading their processing while still
> allowing concurrent processing of the queue as a whole (each group has it's
> own thread/consumer)...

Yes. But I want the load re-distributed if a single consumer owns too
many message groups while others being idle.

I don't want this as a replacement for the current behavior, the
current behavior us fine and well-defined and semantically completly
correct. I just want as an enhancement the possibility to say: well,
ordering and single-message-per-group-at-a-time is what I want, but
re-distribute to other consumers if available.

Something along
  session.createConsumer("queue.foo?releaseMessageGroupsAfter=1")
would be what I have in mind.

Basically I want a semantics like always sending a "JMSXGroupSeq -1"
_after_ processing the current message. (Not exactly, as this still
would not redistribute the NEXT message in the group but after the
sent one, but maybe you get my point anyways.)

Best regards,
Martin