activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Martin C." <mart...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: Fwd: Message groups enhancement feature request
Date Sat, 02 Jul 2011 12:54:01 GMT
Hi,

> So it sounds like the current Message Groups behaviour is fine; its
> just you want to ensure fair load balancing of the message groups
> across consumers right? So if lots of other clients are restarted; the
> long running clients could end up claiming too many of the message
> groups?

Yes, you absolutely got it right. The current behavior is absolutely
correct and well-defined and within the specs of JMS as far as I know
it. That's why I call my idea an "enhancement", because I think it
could aid i some situations to provide better scalability.

> I wonder if just recycling consumers every now and again would do the
> trick? i.e. a pure client side thing to terminate a consumer every now
> and again to force rebalancing of message groups?

This is a very valid approach and one I am currently implementing for
the Spring MessageListenerContainer setup we have. But it has some
side-effects: this generates advisory messages which will be
distributed throughout the network of brokers, if
dynamicallyIncludedDestinations are involved and in huge
network-of-brokers, those advisories (in our case) can make up most of
the WAN network traffic. That's why I want to keep them down.

I am not sure if it can be handled by the MessageConsumer alone or if
a feature like this would be better implemented on the broker side,
but my "dream" solution would be
session.createConsumer("queue.foo?releaseMessageGroupsAfter=1")
telling the broker that he can freely re-distribute the message group
like seems best after the current message has been ACKed.

Thanks for any input.

Best regards,
Martin