activemq-users mailing list archives

From Joe Smith <joesmithc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Load testing 5.5 - broker pauses between sends
Date Sat, 30 Jul 2011 03:09:54 GMT
Hi,

We are testing 5.5.0 for an upgrade from 5.4 - hoping for a performance boost.

In our testing, we notice brokers stop delivering messages on a regular interval.  The cpu
graph clearly showing a slowing down of the broker at regular interval.  With some investigation
by changing the kahaDb's cleanupInterval and DEBUG trace, we think we have identify where
the "pause" occurs.

For simplicity, we reverted our activemq.xml to minimal config.  Our test client is sending
at approximately 39k msgs/sec to a test.queue.

With debug trace, the pause is between timestamp 2011-07-29 22:07:38,617 through 2011-07-29
22:08:03,214.  During that period, no message were delivered for test.queue and broker's
cpu usage drops to 0 (jconsole).  The trace is in the attachment.

It looked like the pauses corresponding to kahaDB's cleanupInterval.  The trace showed the
following activities during the pause interval:
- Main:memory: usage change from: 36% of available memory .... at interval of 1% points
- org.apache.activemq.transport.InactivityMonitor$2@7aaea288 10000 ms elapsed since last
write check
- Multiple Checkpoint started.done.
- expiring queue messages.  We saw the same queued were checked multiple times w/in the interval.

Any help to eliminate the pauses is greatly appreciated.

Thanks