activemq-users mailing list archives

From Ozan Seymen <Ozan.Sey...@tdpg.com>
Subject Kahadb Corruption Scenarios
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2011 15:53:55 GMT
Hi all,

Can you please explain the scenarios where we might have AMQ message storage (kahadb) corrupted
in a way that it is not recoverable?

In the solution I am working on, I simply cannot afford to lose any messages. In order to
secure this, I will:

*         Rely on transactions on the publisher side (both performance and reliability). This
should ensure that I will catch exceptions for every batch. If commit succeeds, broker should
assume responsibility and have persisted the message to disk (can you please confirm whether
this is correct?)

*         Implement durable queues/messages (deliverymode is persistent)

*         Rely on acks on consumer side (dubs_ok probably).
Even though all of these above prevent message loss in normal conditions, none of them covers
the case where data gets corrupted in the broker. There is a window (albeit small) that things
might go wrong: broker assumes responsibility (message is in the disk) but before message
is sent to the consumer, broker experiences problems which corrupts the storage. If I can't
bring the broker up with all data previously persisted, I've lost messages - producer forgot
about the message as broker accepted responsibility and consumers have no idea about the messages
since they haven't been delivered to it.
So does kahadb have some sort of transaction log that it keeps which should recover messages?
If not, would changing the message store to a JDBC provider (and use Postgre, MySql, SQL Server,
etc) help?
I would really appreciate any info you guys can share.
Cheers,
Ozan

________________________________
This e-mail and any attached files are intended for the named addressee only. It contains
information which may be confidential and legally privileged and also protected by copyright.
Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive for the addressee) you may not
copy or use it or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify the
sender immediately and then delete it from your system.

Please be advised that the views and opinions expressed in this e-mail may not reflect the
views and opinions of The Digital Property Group Limited or any of its subsidiary companies.

We make every effort to keep our network free from viruses. However, you do need to check
this e-mail and any attachments to it for viruses as we can take no responsibility for any
computer virus which may be transferred by way of this e-mail. We reserve the right to monitor
all e-mail communications.

The Digital Property Group Limited is a Daily Mail and General Trust plc company.
Registered Office: Northcliffe House, 2 Derry Street, London, W8 5TT.
Registered in England & Wales No: 02290527 VAT no. 243571174