activemq-users mailing list archives

From Ivan Pechorin <ivan.pecho...@gmail.com>
Subject occasional NullPointerExceptions in ActiveMQTextMessage.getSize()
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 14:55:45 GMT
Hello,

Sometime we get NullPointerException when sending a text message. We
use method send(destination, message) of interface
javax.jms.MessageProducer.

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.activemq.command.ActiveMQTextMessage.getSize(ActiveMQTextMessage.java:148)
at org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQSession.send(ActiveMQSession.java:1753)
at org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQMessageProducer.send(ActiveMQMessageProducer.java:231)
at org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQMessageProducerSupport.send(ActiveMQMessageProducerSupport.java:300)

ActiveMQ 5.4.1 on JDK 6 (64-bit) on Windows 2008.

Caller code is:

try {
    final TextMessage message = session.createTextMessage(msg);
	message.setJMSType(type);
	message.setJMSReplyTo(destination);
	message.setJMSCorrelationID(jmsMessageId);
	producer.send(destination, message);
} catch (JMSException ex) {
}

I.e. we don't reuse or store the message being sent.

We are also 100% sure that both session and its producer are used from
one thread only at any point of time (we have use a custom session
pool).

Broker URI is vm://jboss-activemq-broker?jms.copyMessageOnSend=false&jms.objectMessageSerializationDefered=true&jms.useAsyncSend=true

The NPE occurs occasionally, we were not able to reproduce it
deterministically so far.

Any suggestions on how to investigate this NPE?

I've created an issue in JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-3369

Regards,
Ivan