activemq-users mailing list archives

From Gary Tully <gary.tu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tracing Broker to Producer Acks
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 15:25:42 GMT
The "SENDING: Response ..." with the correlation id is enough, that is
the response to a sync request.
Ignore the "producer flow control" bit, that was just to determine the
context, I was not sure because the producerAck term has a specific
meaning in activemq. A producer does not typically get acks, just

On 27 June 2011 15:57, Ozan Seymen <Ozan.Seymen@tdpg.com> wrote:
> Do you think I should rely on "SENDING: Response ..." line as the broker's guarantee
or should I enable producer flow control and trace ProducerAcks?

> I thought producer flow control was more to do with "resource management" and broker
would always send some sort of persistence guarantee even producer flow control is disabled.
Is this accurate?

> Thanks for all this info Gary.

to respect the original client but in the case of a transacted client this may be a problem
as messages are send async and batched at commit time.

> Using a client side connection url parameter, jms.alwaysSyncSend=true would help validate
 if this is part of the problem as it would ensure each send is sync from the client.

> On 27 June 2011 15:03, Ozan Seymen <Ozan.Seymen@tdpg.com> wrote:
>> I am just interested in understanding when the broker assumed responsibility for
a specific message. I will use this trace information to go in a bit deeper in my tests where
I am loosing messages in some scenarios - like http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/Message-loss-in-network-of-brokers-transactional-send-td3588714.html#a3602343.

>> So basically I will repeat my tests with trace=true, pointpoint the exact location
where the message is dropped and try to understand whether broker is killed before it assumed
responsibility for it or not. If it hasn't assumed responsibility, then I will need to do
something on the client code to trap that case (no need for a JIRA!).

>> PS: These messages are all persistent and should not be lost. That's why I am trying
to trace "I've safely stored your message" response from broker to producer.

= 13 which corresponds to the RECEIVED commandId=13.
>> So it confirms the receipt/store of the message.
>>
>> A producerAck, used for flow control would be a separate request. Is that what you
are interested in, producer flow control ?

>> On 27 June 2011 14:24, Ozan Seymen <Ozan.Seymen@tdpg.com> wrote:
>>> Thanks for this Gary.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to quickly confirm whether the line starting with "SENDING" is
the ack returned from broker to the producer please?

>>> 2011-06-27 14:15:33,352 | DEBUG | RECEIVED: ActiveMQTextMessage
>>> {commandId = 13, responseRequired = true, messageId =
>>> ID:HAM-NB-073-58760-634447809330389070-1:0:1:1:10,
>>>
>>> 2011-06-27 14:15:33,354 | DEBUG | DB.DC1 toPageIn: 200, Inflight: 0,
>>> pagedInMessages.size 0, enqueueCount: 20, dequeueCount: 0 |
>>> org.apache.activemq.broker.region.Queue | Queue:DB.DC1
>>>
>>> 2011-06-27 14:15:33,356 | DEBUG | SI.DC1 toPageIn: 200, Inflight: 0,
>>> pagedInMessages.size 0, enqueueCount: 20, dequeueCount: 0 |
>>> org.apache.activemq.broker.region.Queue | Queue:SI.DC1
>>>
>>> 2011-06-27 14:15:33,359 | DEBUG | Q.OUT.ToDC2.DC1 toPageIn: 190,
>>> Inflight: 0, pagedInMessages.size 0, enqueueCount: 20, dequeueCount:
>>> 0
>>>
>>> 2011-06-27 14:15:33,359 | DEBUG | SENDING: Response {commandId = 0,
>>> responseRequired = false, correlationId = 13} |
>>> org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportLogger.Connection:2 | ActiveMQ

any configuration settings that I can set in log4j.properties?

It contains information which may be confidential and legally privileged and also protected
by copyright. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive for the addressee)
you may not copy or use it or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please
notify the sender immediately and then delete it from your system.

not reflect the views and opinions of The Digital Property Group Limited or any of its subsidiary
companies.

do need to check this e-mail and any attachments to it for viruses as we can take no responsibility
for any computer virus which may be transferred by way of this e-mail. We reserve the right
to monitor all e-mail communications.