activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Martin C." <mart...@gmx.at>
Subject Fwd: Message groups enhancement feature request
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 10:30:40 GMT
Hi,

we currently use message groups to ensure ordered delivery of messages
within a given group. As noted on the documentation for message
groups, this often does not scale very well with variable consumer
counts, as in this case the oldest consumers will hog all message
groups.

In our use-case, and I suppose this might apply to others as well, we
simply don't care which consumer consumes which message, but only,
that the next message from the same message group is not consumed
before the first has been processed. So my idea would be to add a
configuration option, that a consumer will release the message group
directly after consuming its current message, releasing the message
group for re-distribution to other brokers.

Would something like this be possible / do I overlook some downside of
this approach?

Best regards,
Martin