activemq-users mailing list archives

From James Green <james.mk.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: KahaDB storage size grows despite almost no pending messages
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2011 08:40:51 GMT
I experienced the same. To debug add the following to your log4j.properties
file (if needed):

log4j.appender.kahadb=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.kahadb.file=${activemq.base}/data/kahadb.log
log4j.appender.kahadb.maxFileSize=1024KB
log4j.appender.kahadb.maxBackupIndex=5
log4j.appender.kahadb.append=true
log4j.appender.kahadb.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.kahadb.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%-15.15t] %-5p
%-30.30c{1} - %m%n
log4j.logger.org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.MessageDatabase=TRACE, kahadb

Restart AMQ and let the pruner process run (give it a minute or two for
example).

Examine the log file and look for pruning of the queues. It gives the queue
and the log file numbers that remain candidates for removal.

At some point you'll hit a queue and the number of logs will suddenly drop
unexpectedly. That queue has likely got messages that AMQ is holding a
reference to.

In our case we had NC_ durable clients that had long been disposed of by
ourselves. After deleting these the subsequent expiring / purging run of
kahadb removed the files and freed up literally gigs of space.

Hope this helps. It should really be documented as a FAQ!

James