activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Idzerda, Edan" <Edan_Idze...@PremierInc.com>
Subject RE: Feasibility of Shared File System Master Slave using NFSv4
Date Thu, 19 May 2011 18:38:40 GMT
I think that's kinda funny, really.  ActiveMQ's website has a warning about potential problems
with locking under NFSv3,  http://activemq.apache.org/shared-file-system-master-slave.html
and IBM MQ's similar "multi-instance" mode *requires* NFSv4 for "proper lock handling."

I only briefly tested AMQ's master-slave using NFSv3 and it worked well-enough in simple test
cases.  FWIW, we ended up going with a single server so we could use the SAN directly and
relied on VmWare for a relatively quick recovery from a server failure.

-----Original Message-----
From: johneboyer [mailto:johnboyer99@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:04 PM
To: users@activemq.apache.org
Subject: Feasibility of Shared File System Master Slave using NFSv4

I’m planning to implement the shared file system master slave using NFSv4 on Ubuntu (lucid)
server. However, my Linux consultant is telling me that it’s not going to work and has refused
to waste time setting it up because he says the exclusive locking will not work.

Is he correct? Does anyone have experience successfully configuring shared file system master
slave using NFSv4?

Thank you for your time.