activemq-users mailing list archives

From Josh Carlson <jcarl...@e-dialog.com>
Subject How does prefetch work with client acknoledgements?
Date Wed, 04 May 2011 15:31:13 GMT
If I have prefetch set to 1 and I retrieve a message, is another one dispatched before it is
ack'd? I'm trying to scale the number of consumers. My benchmark test pre-produces 50 messages
for each consumer (all in one queue). Then sets N consumers active and I measure the time
it takes to pull the message of the queue.

In my benchmarking I've found a very nice MEAN time to retrieve a message at 2ms, regardless
of the number of consumers. However, the deviation is very bad. My hypothesis is that some
consumers are getting stuck not able to pull messages off the queue because each consumer
can actually be dispatched 2 messages. Also the faster the consumer the worse the deviation.