activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Swindells, Thomas" <TSwinde...@nds.com>
Subject RE: ActiveMQ Memory Usage is going up when there is no activity
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2011 09:11:24 GMT
I don't know about what active mq is increasing its memory but the GC behaviour you are seeing
for java is perfectly normal. Java performs multiple different types of garbage collection.
Generally it only performs quick basic GC cycles which purge out only easily detected objecst
(the small sawtooths on the graph). Only when memory is getting overly full does it try more
aggressive (and time consuming) GC cycles - or when you press the button on console.

In term of memory usage there are probably a whole load of temporary short lived objects which
may accumulate over time even if there aren't any messages being sent, things such as log
records (even if they aren't written to disk), keep alive messages, other housekeeping operations
could all accumulate a backlog of objects that the gc doesn't bother to spend much effort
on trying to tidy up until it needs to.

What I don't get is why you think you need help, are you actually experiencing any actual
problems?

Thomas