activemq-users mailing list archives

From Mats Henrikson <m...@zakalwe.com>
Subject Re: Strategy question - many queues or use selectors?
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2011 22:28:10 GMT
Hi James,

On 12 April 2011 07:54, James Green <james.mk.green@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sure this must get asked routinely but for my benefit at least,
> which is considered best: Have many (hundreds) of queues, or a single
> queue of similar messages and use selectors to pick the right ones
> out?

We have in the order of thousands of queues and topics, and many of
the destinations also have possibly up to 10 selectors. My experience
on ActiveMQ 5.2 and 5.3 was atrocious as there were problems with
controlling the number of threads, so we would easily run out of
threads. Since upgrading to 5.4 all the thread controls appear to be
functioning well (but we could do with having SSL over NIO implemented
to make things even better).

Unfortunately, selectors have been and are still problematic due to
the interaction with maxPageSize, which as far as I know isn't
scheduled to be fixed until ActiveMQ 6.0.

For the reasons above I would definitely go with a
multiple-destinations-no-selectors approach if I could start our
project all over again, as opposed to a
fewer-destinations-multiple-selectors approach.

Good luck,

Mats