activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Martin C." <>
Subject A single connection with failover (with send-timeout) + XA, good or bad idea?
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2011 19:33:05 GMT

one of my client is using XA using Atomikos, using a failover
connection with ActiveMQ 5.4.2 (broker and client). From time to time,
we see sporadic fails via the localhost connection (first question:

WARN  org.apache.activemq.transport.failover.FailoverTransport  -
Transport (activemq1/ failed to ssl://activemq1:61617
, attempting to automatically reconnect due to: Connection has been shutdown: Broken pipe

As they are using a send-timeout (timeout=20000) on the failover
transport, we sometimes see the expected
   Failover timeout of 20000 ms reached.

After this, we start getting heuristic transactions, which cannot be
completed by Atomikos:
WARN  org.apache.activemq.TransactionContext  - commit of:
failed with: javax.jms.JMSException: Transaction
has not been started.

Once we reach this state, this keeps hanging until we force-forget the
transaction in Atomikos.

So can anybody tell me if:
- if it is safe to use XA with lots of consumers over a single connection?
- if it is safe to use XA with the failover transport?
- if it is safe to use XA with the failover transport and a send
timeout (timeout=20000)?

Thanks for any hint!

Best regards,

View raw message