activemq-users mailing list archives

From Anirudha Khanna <aniru...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Message Cursors and Dispatch
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2011 02:06:08 GMT
Hi,

So I added a custom subscription recovery policy to ActiveMQ-5.3.2 that stores messages in
a different instance of Kaha Db. To load test this recovery policy we sent close to ~ 82 million
messages(24 hours worth of messages) to the topic that has the recovery policy enabled on
it.
When connecting a single consumer after broker restart, I noticed that the consumer takes
a long time to even start getting the messages. Looking at the stack trace it seems that ActiveMQ
first attempts to add all the recovered messages to a Message Cursor(in this case a File Message
cursor) and only then start the dispatch(the dispatch thread is WAITING). Before restarting
the broker a single consumer was able to receive messages fairly quickly.
Is this the expected behaviour for ActiveMQ, that ALL messages will first be added to the
Message cursor before they are dispatched? Is there a way to get around this?

Thanks,
Anirudha