activemq-users mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Best practices with JMS
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2011 17:19:16 GMT
Hi Filip,

basically connections can be kept open as long as you like. They are
also thread safe. For connections there is the problem that they can
become invalid if the server goes away for too long.
Sessions can also be kept open but they are not thread safe. So make
sure you do not share a session between threads.

I suggest that you take a look at the spring jms abstractions. They help
with a lot of the problems you may have.
The keywords you need JmsTemplate, DefaultMessageListenerContainer.

Be careful though. The spring jmstemplate always closes the connection
after a request. So you have to use a pooling connection factory.
Application servers sometimes provide these.
When doing a standalone application you may want to wrap the connection
factory in a spring CachingConnectionFactory.

Frameworks like Camel and CXF use this aproach as it makes life a lot
easier than working with JMS directly.

If your focus is on simply sending and receiving your objects in a
really easy way you might even want to use Apache Camel.
http://camel.apache.org/jms.html
http://camel.apache.org/pojo-messaging-example.html
Messaging canĀ“t be easier than with camel and it embeds nicely in your
application.

Best regards

Christian

--