activemq-users mailing list archives

From Timothy Bish <tabish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IConnection.start() - optional?
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2011 20:06:33 GMT
On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 13:00 -0700, olsonpm wrote:
> I'm very new to AMQ - would you mind going into a little more detail?  I'm
> not understanding the cases in which you would/wouldn't start a connection.
>
> thank you for your help,
> Phil
>

>From the JMS API Documentation for Connection (NMS is modeled on JMS)

"A JMS client typically creates a connection, one or more sessions, and
a number of message producers and consumers. When a connection is
created, it is in stopped mode. That means that no messages are being
delivered.

It is typical to leave the connection in stopped mode until setup is
complete (that is, until all message consumers have been created). At
that point, the client calls the connection's start method, and messages
begin arriving at the connection's consumers. This setup convention
minimizes any client confusion that may result from asynchronous message
delivery while the client is still in the process of setting itself up.

A connection can be started immediately, and the setup can be done
afterwards. Clients that do this must be prepared to handle asynchronous
message delivery while they are still in the process of setting up.

A message producer can send messages while a connection is stopped. "

You might want to spend some time reading about the JMS API as the .NET
client API operates using the same basic rules.

Regards

--
Tim Bish