activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Shelley, Ryan" <Ryan.Shel...@disney.com>
Subject RE: Multiple webapps using VM brokers
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2011 02:01:42 GMT
Ah, yeah, looks like it may not have been fixed for XBeanBrokerService (which is what we're
doing).  Thanks for those links!

-----Original Message-----
From: Stevo Slavić [mailto:sslavic@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 5:50 PM
To: users@activemq.apache.org
Subject: Re: Multiple webapps using VM brokers

If I understood well, embedded broker startup (brokers waiting to get
a lock on file system) should already be async, not blocking web app
startup:

http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/Non-blocking-embedded-broker-startup-when-using-jdbc-master-slave-setup-td2364841.html

Regards,
Stevo.

2011/1/13 Stevo Slavić <sslavic@gmail.com>:
> I think I understand better your use case now, and it is different
> from mine - I believe you're looking for this:
> http://activemq.apache.org/shared-file-system-master-slave.html - each
> app starts an embedded broker, they all use same data directory,
> whichever has a lock on data directory is master, and clients (e.g.
> one app producer, the other consumer of the same topic) connect to
> whichever is active.
>
> Regards,
> Stevo.
>
> 2011/1/13 Shelley, Ryan <Ryan.Shelley@disney.com>:
>> Hey Stevo, that's so much for your quick reply... I truly appreciate it!
>>
>> So, our two webapps need to be sharing messaging, obviously.  One webapp puts a
message in queue and says "hey, clear the cache" and the other webapp has to get the message
and clear the cache.  If we have different broker names for VM brokers, will we have issues
where the messages are not in the same broker and not shared, or are the broker names pretty
much just for data isolation but share the queues?

>> -Ryan

within our environment (ActiveMQ 5.2, Java 1.6, RHEL5).  One issue we had, and probably due
to my incomplete comprehension of ActiveMQ, came about when we tried running two webapps that
both used local VM brokers.  We'd get errors where one broker would hang waiting for a lock
that we assume the other webapp had, or we'd get errors about a VM broker already being created.
 We also tried running ActiveMQ as a WAR in Tomcat with our other webapps, but since we couldn't
configure the startup order of the webapps, we had our webapps failing because the ActiveMQ
webapp wasn't up yet.

>>> So, I suppose my question is multipart.  First, must the data directory for
two VM brokers be different (our config file for ActiveMQ was being shared between webapps,
so each VM broker shared the same URI, brokerName, data directory, etc)?

>>> Second, is there a way to make the connectivity to a broker delayed (say, until
first request, like Spring's RMI config), or retry gracefully?

>>> Currently, if it fails connecting to a broker at startup, the entire webapp fails.
 If we configure reconnect retry attempts, the webapp will block during startup, which will
block loading other webapps, which may include the ActiveMQ webapp, so it eventually fails.

>>> Third, what is industry standard (or recommended) approach for setting up ActiveMQ
services?  In a separate, dedicated Tomcat instance?  As the executable (through Jetty)?
 As an embedded VM broker per webapp (or shared VM broker for multiple webapps)?  Some other
approach?