activemq-users mailing list archives

From Gary Tully <gary.tu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JMS application's consumer(with msg selector) not getting messages
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2010 17:54:45 GMT
glad to help, and thanks for replying to close the loop.

On 15 December 2010 17:03, Stephen Vincent <Stephen.Vincent@sas.com> wrote:
> ...snip...
>> It does not poll the broker for messages unless prefetch is 0.
> ...snip...
>

> Gary,
>
>        Thank you Gary.  Not only does prefetch=0 allow me to get the messages, but
it also caused me to inspect my code given that new knowledge.  I now realize I told a fib
when I said I was only creating one consumer.  I had forgotten that by default, I am creating
a consumer without a message selector.  Later, if my user wants a message and specifies a
message selector, I create a new consumer with the message selector. The creation of that
first plain consumer is causing my problem.  I assume the messages were dispatched to it
upon creation; such that when I subsequently create the second consumer with the message selector,
it doesn't see the messages that were already dispatched to that first consumer.  The problem
is circumvented by setting prefetch=0, but I should should fix my app by refraining from creating
that first "default" consumer.  I assume my app and test case worked when using WebSphere
MQ because I assume no messages are being dispatched to the consumer upon its creation.  I
guess WebSphere MQ waits until the first receive before dispatching messages.

--
http://blog.garytully.com
http://fusesource.com