activemq-users mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: storeUsage with kahaDB which files
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2010 22:11:23 GMT
On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Josh Carlson <jcarlson@e-dialog.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response Bruce we must be hitting the 5.3 bug where the persisted
messages are not being cleaned up because those messages don't exist in the queues.

> While on the topic of the systemUsage thresholds. Can you or someone else describe what
the memoryUsage limit refers to. I have read two descriptions, one here: http://activemq.apache.org/javalangoutofmemory.html
that says it is used to control how much memory is used before non-persistent messages are
spooled to disk. However, we are persisting all messages but yet in the web console that "Memory
percent used" is non-zero. In another document which I purchased from Total Transaction Management
it says that this limits the amount of memory the broker can use. However, this confuses me
as well because we had it set to 20 MB which doesn't seem like it would be nearly enough and
I have seen the JVM well more than a GB.

Here is another description that includes more detail about the
systemUsage element and how it relates to producer flow control:

http://activemq.apache.org/producer-flow-control.html

At a high level, here is a quick description of the systemUsage element:

* memoryUsage - Specifies how much heap memory ActiveMQ is allowed to use
* storeUsage - Specifies the amount of disk space that can be used to
store persistent messages
* tempUsage - Specifies the amount of disk space that can be used to
store non-persistent messages

Hope that helps.

Bruce
);'