activemq-users mailing list archives

From BenXS <>
Subject How to use a message driven bean on AppServer like JBoss/Tomcat (and not Messagebroker)?
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2010 14:33:53 GMT

Normally I can create a MessageDrivenBean *.jar and deploy it into the /lib
sub-folder of ActiveMQ.

It will be automatically managed when ActioveMQ starts and receives incoming
message in its

method. Fine.

But how can I use MessageDrivenBeans when I have/want to deploy them on a
separate Application Server like JBoss or Tomcat ?

Lets assume the AS is started with the deploy MDB. The MDB connects to
ActiveMQ by establishing a connection. Does this connection setup also
automatically create a listener on ActiveMQ?

In other words: If a new incoming message appears in queue "myqueue123" does
ActiveMQ automatically know that there is a listener with a MDB which needs
to be invoked on an external application server?

This whole mechanism must be (from the ActiveMQ point of view) a push
operation and NOT a pull operation from the appserver/mdb side!