activemq-users mailing list archives

From Matt Pavlovich <mattr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Need Help
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:47:40 GMT
Yes, you can run multiple brokers on a single system.  You just need to be mindful of what
ports you listen on (via the activemq.xml), and when you are sending messages to the correct
ports for each instance.

There is going to be a performance hit of using two servers instead of one, if the system
is really busy.  If its not, you probably won't notice any major problems.  I like running
multiple brokers for testing different versions of ActiveMQ or ServiceMix on the same box.
 As for a production setup, I don't see a benefit to running multiple instances on the same
server in the majority of cases-- in fact, I think it creates more administrative and support
headaches.

I do like the model of running a second instance to take over in the event that the first
instance fails, but for just processing messages through queues and topics, one per server
is usually fine for most folks-- especially if you have a second server that is part of a
cluster of brokers.

Matt Pavlovich