activemq-users mailing list archives

From Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>
Subject Re: getting started with activemq development
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:44:43 GMT
Hi Alex,

the best thing for starters is to check some unit tests and get
familiar with them. We're doing all the development based on those,
there you can easily start/stop broker(s), send/consume messages.

You can run them both from Eclipse (IDE) and using maven, like

$ cd activemq-core
$ mvn -Dtest=JMSConsumerTest test

You can also rely on logging (see src/test/resources/log4j.properties)
to adjust it to your needs and put some additional traces where you
need them.

For debugging, also, just run the test using Eclipse (or any other
debugging tool you need). There are also options for debugging
standalone brokers if you wish.

As for the eclipse, you can always only use the submodule you're
interested in, like activemq-core

You can also check IntelliJ IDEA.

Cheers

Blog - http://www.nighttale.net

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Alex Dean <alex@crackpot.org> wrote:
> I've not done much Java development, and definitely not on a codebase of the size of
ActiveMQ.  I'm finding it a little difficult to get started, and I could use some help.  I
wrote previously about some problems I've had getting Eclipse set up, but even once I've sorted
that out I'm not sure where to go next.

> I want to be able to :
>  * compile any changes i've made in the code
>  * set some breakpoints in the code
>  * start the server
>  * make a request from a client
>  * watch what's happening at the breakpoints I've set
>
> I'd also like to know how to run the activemq unit tests, both as a full suite and individually.
>
> It doesn't matter to me whether all of this is done in Eclipse, or via a combination
of IDE & command-line programs.  I don't care about sticking with Eclipse.  If anyone
can point me at a different (though still free) IDE/editor, I have no objection to switching.

> Can someone point me at a tutorial on how to do some/all of this?  I've been googling
for 'activemq eclipse' 'activemq development' and similar phrases, and not finding anything.

> A 'getting started' guide, that that provided by the Geoserver project (http://geoserver.org/display/GEOSDOC/3+Eclipse+Quickstart)
would be wonderful.  I'd be willing to write one, get screenshots, etc, if only I knew what
to put in it. :)