activemq-users mailing list archives

From Alex Dean <a...@crackpot.org>
Subject Re: getting started with activemq development
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2010 17:38:28 GMT
I have been able to run tests for activemq-core via maven.  Thanks.  I'm looking for tests
in activemq-web, and not finding any.  Are there no tests for AjaxServlet, MessageListenerServlet,
etc?  I suspect maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

alex

On Sep 22, 2010, at 11:44 AM, Dejan Bosanac wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> the best thing for starters is to check some unit tests and get
> familiar with them. We're doing all the development based on those,
> there you can easily start/stop broker(s), send/consume messages.
>
> You can run them both from Eclipse (IDE) and using maven, like
>
> $ cd activemq-core
> $ mvn -Dtest=JMSConsumerTest test
>
> You can also rely on logging (see src/test/resources/log4j.properties)
> to adjust it to your needs and put some additional traces where you
> need them.
>
> For debugging, also, just run the test using Eclipse (or any other
> debugging tool you need). There are also options for debugging
> standalone brokers if you wish.
>
> As for the eclipse, you can always only use the submodule you're
> interested in, like activemq-core
>
> You can also check IntelliJ IDEA.
>

> Cheers
> --

> Blog - http://www.nighttale.net
>

> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Alex Dean <alex@crackpot.org> wrote:
>> I've not done much Java development, and definitely not on a codebase of the size
of ActiveMQ.  I'm finding it a little difficult to get started, and I could use some help.
 I wrote previously about some problems I've had getting Eclipse set up, but even once I've
sorted that out I'm not sure where to go next.

>> I want to be able to :
>>  * compile any changes i've made in the code
>>  * set some breakpoints in the code
>>  * start the server
>>  * make a request from a client
>>  * watch what's happening at the breakpoints I've set
>>
>> I'd also like to know how to run the activemq unit tests, both as a full suite and
individually.

>> It doesn't matter to me whether all of this is done in Eclipse, or via a combination
of IDE & command-line programs.  I don't care about sticking with Eclipse.  If anyone
can point me at a different (though still free) IDE/editor, I have no objection to switching.

>> Can someone point me at a tutorial on how to do some/all of this?  I've been googling
for 'activemq eclipse' 'activemq development' and similar phrases, and not finding anything.

>> A 'getting started' guide, that that provided by the Geoserver project (http://geoserver.org/display/GEOSDOC/3+Eclipse+Quickstart)
would be wonderful.  I'd be willing to write one, get screenshots, etc, if only I knew what
to put in it. :)