activemq-users mailing list archives

From Alex Dean <a...@crackpot.org>
Subject getting started with activemq development
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:07:58 GMT
I've not done much Java development, and definitely not on a codebase of the size of ActiveMQ.
 I'm finding it a little difficult to get started, and I could use some help.  I wrote previously
about some problems I've had getting Eclipse set up, but even once I've sorted that out I'm
not sure where to go next.

I want to be able to :
 * compile any changes i've made in the code
 * set some breakpoints in the code
 * start the server
 * make a request from a client
 * watch what's happening at the breakpoints I've set

I'd also like to know how to run the activemq unit tests, both as a full suite and individually.

It doesn't matter to me whether all of this is done in Eclipse, or via a combination of IDE
& command-line programs.  I don't care about sticking with Eclipse.  If anyone can point
me at a different (though still free) IDE/editor, I have no objection to switching.

Can someone point me at a tutorial on how to do some/all of this?  I've been googling for
'activemq eclipse' 'activemq development' and similar phrases, and not finding anything.

A 'getting started' guide, that that provided by the Geoserver project (http://geoserver.org/display/GEOSDOC/3+Eclipse+Quickstart)
would be wonderful.  I'd be willing to write one, get screenshots, etc, if only I knew what
to put in it. :)

Help?

thanks,
alex