activemq-users mailing list archives

From swapnonil <swapno...@gmail.com>
Subject How do I use the PooledConnectionFactory?
Date Sun, 12 Sep 2010 18:52:23 GMT

Hi Everybody,

I am new to ActiveMQ. For the past 3 months I have been using HornetQ with
JBoss 5.1 and am pretty much feed up with HornetQ, JBoss and the whole
Resource Adapter XML tag soup. The lessons that I have learnt by using
JBoss+HornetQ and by reading through the Geronimo documentation are

The Resource Adapter tag soup is ok to work with if all you want is a single
server. But the moment you try to set up a cluster (master/slave or load
balanced) of brokers things either break down or are so hard to do that you
give up halfway.
Setting up a cluster of JMS brokers on any App Server including Geronimo is
poorly documented.

Which is why I have decided that it may be a good idea to go with a pure JMS
setup.

I intend to use ActiveMQ is this manner.

We have multiple Web Servers and Job Servers each running on their own
individual JVMs. These JVMs totaling 8 at present need to submit messages
onto a queue. There will be a set of consumers which will read these
message, create SOLR documents and post them to a SOLR server for Indexing.
The whole idea of using messaging, is that creating a SOLR document is time
consuming. The application cannot afford to wait for this to complete. So
the application (web servers and job servers) just puts a message onto a
Queue and a Consumer would then create the SOLR doc and post it to SOLR.

>From what I seen of the code in PooledConnectionFactory, it seems to be good
for use inside the JVMs hosting the Web Servers or the Job Servers.

But my question is, How do I use PooledConnnectionFactory?

Is this intended to be instantiated only once inside a particular JVM?

That is should I create Singleton (Manager kind of) to work with
PooledConnection Factory?

With Regards

Swapnonil Mukherjee