activemq-users mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ vs. Camel vs. Qpid
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2010 11:18:15 GMT
On 26 August 2010 11:53, heapifyman <heapifyman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am quite new to the whole messaging thing and I am a bit confused about
> the differences between ActiveMQ, Camel and Qpid. Especially, which tool
> would be suited best for which scenarios?

So ActiveMQ and Qpid are both message brokers. ActiveMQ is very
popular (when nabble used to show an activity ranking, ActiveMQ was
usually in the top 5 Apache projects); its probably the most popular
open source message broker and has been around along time, used in a
large number of production settings for years & has loads of advanced
features and can support a massive range of different requirements,
protocols, network topologies & quality of service in messaging. Qpid
is a relative newcomer that is trying to implement the AMQP
specification which should hit 1.0 any time now AFAIK.

e.g. compare the traffic on the user lists to get an idea of their
relative usage...
http://activemq.markmail.org/search/?q=activemq#query:activemq%20list%3Aorg.apache.activemq.users+page:1+state:facets
http://apache.markmail.org/search/?q=qpid#query:qpid%20list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.qpid-users+page:1+state:facets

Or google trends
http://www.google.com/trends?q=qpid%2C+activemq

Camel on the other hand is an integration framework for implementing
the Enterprise Integration Patterns. So its a framework for routing,
mediating & transforming messages. Camel is middleware agnostic - it
can work with all of these technologies...
http://camel.apache.org/components.html

Camel can implement these Enterprise Integration Patterns...
http://camel.apache.org/enterprise-integration-patterns.html

Camel is also integrated into ActiveMQ out of the box so its easy to
route messages to & from ActiveMQ with any of the other technologies
and protocols supported by Camel
http://activemq.apache.org/enterprise-integration-patterns.html

BTW there's a couple of great books coming out on ActiveMQ and Camel
if you want to learn more
http://fusesource.com/fuse/apache-books/

--
James