activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Robillard, Greg L" <greg.l.robill...@lmco.com>
Subject RE: EXTERNAL: Re: ActiveMQ disconnects producer with large message throughput
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:00:34 GMT
Thanks.  Can you point to a description of the filePendingMessageCursor, so I understand it's
implementation?

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Tully [mailto:gary.tully@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 11:46 AM
To: users@activemq.apache.org
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: ActiveMQ disconnects producer with large message throughput

filePendingMessagecursor is your man here, and configure a systemUsage memory limit that controls
how much memory resources are consumed by the cursors before offloading to the local filesystem
kicks in.

On 12 August 2010 16:59, Robillard, Greg L <greg.l.robillard@lmco.com> wrote:
> Not certain where to begin.
>
> apache-activemq-5.3.2
> using non-persistent queues
> using openwire jms connections
>
> Problem described:
>
> Normal operation has about 30 clients connected receiving between 300 and 500 messages
per minute.  Problem occurs if a single client configures a large amount of data.  This
can get a single client to receive up to 10,000 messages per minute.  The message size is
small, generally at or under 1K.

> Initially producerFlowControl was set to true, but this shut the producer down for everyone.
 ProducerFlowControl is now set to false.

> The client queue size continues to fill (NotificationQueueSizeExceeded).  This happens
primarily on slower networks and client computers.  Faster networks and client computers
can often handle this data rate.  What I currently do, is trap this situation, and log the
client off since their client cannot keep up with the data rate.

> The problem specifically is that sometimes, when a client is bringing in large amounts
of data,  activemq sometimes simply runs out of memory and shuts the producer down and all
of the clients.

> Currently, the only way I have been able to recover from this is to restart activemq
and the producer.

> I am looking for what needs to be done to keep activemq from running out of memory if
these large data rates happen when I am not using producerflowcontrol.   Additionally, how
can I recover if this situation happens.

> I have attempted to increase the prefetch size, to increase throughput, to no avail.
 I was using vmQueueCursor, but am currently attempting fileQueueCursor.

--
http://blog.garytully.com

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com