activemq-users mailing list archives

From Gary Tully <>
Subject Re: Failover and replication questions
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:37:14 GMT
The failover transport looks after providing transparent reconnection
for the client, so it caches connection ids, sessions etc such that
they can be replayed, along with transaction related information.
This works great in the case of a single broker and a transport
disconnect for example.
It also works great with multiple brokers but the brokers need to
handle persistent message availability which is separate from the
failover: transport capability on the client side.

Brokers achieve persistent message availability using either a network
configuration or a shared data store configuration, or a combination
of both. The level of visibility of existing messages will dictate
some choices for you in this regard.

On 21 July 2010 09:49,  <> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am not sure what the failover functionality does in ActiveMQ. I know
> that if you have machine A and machine B and machine A dies then anyone
> wanting to use the service will transparantly failover to using B so there
> is no loss of service. But I don't know if the data held in the queues is
> replicated between A and B. Can anyone enlighten me please?
> Regards,
> Andrew Marlow
> This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately
and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material
in this e-mail is prohibited.
> Please refer to
 for additional disclosures.

Open Source Integration