activemq-users mailing list archives

From andrew.mar...@uk.bnpparibas.com
Subject design question about temporary queues
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2010 07:18:53 GMT
I am using AMQ-cpp for a client-server system where my server will be long
running and in the meantime the queue manager may be restarted. So far in
my implementation I have been using  one request Q upon which all requests
are rcvd, and temporary Qs for the replies. When all is well this works
just fine. However, when the connection to the Q mgr is lost the contents
of the temporary Qs is lost. I realise this is the way that temporary Qs
are supposed to work but it makes me wonder if temporary Qs are right for
a long running server when the Q mgr may go away. What do people think?

The other design I had in mind, which I have seen implemented elsewhere,
is for the server to have a reply Q and clients use a message selector to
get the reply for their correlation id. I am not sure I can do that
because my client will actually be firing off several requests close
together before getting a reply for any of them. So if I was to browse for
replies I would have to watch out for all the correlation ids for any
pending replies.

I am on the verge of writing some recovery code that remembers the
messages sent for which no reply has been rcvd yet and resends them on a
reconnect. This is a little bit involved and makes me wonder if maybe I
shouldn't be using temporary Qs after all. But I heard somewhere that
temporary Qs are supposed to be the better solution, more scalable, better
performance etc etc. Can anyone comment please?

Regards,

Andrew Marlow

delete this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in
this e-mail is prohibited.

Please refer to http://www.bnpparibas.co.uk/en/information/legal_information.asp?Code=ECAS-845C5H
 for additional disclosures.