activemq-users mailing list archives

From Rob Davies <rajdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JMX Pending queue size issue
Date Sat, 26 Jun 2010 04:55:15 GMT
Good catch Colin! - thanks for investigating it

cheers,

Rob

Rob Davies
follow me: http://twitter.com/rajdavies
I work here: http://fusesource.com
My Blog: http://rajdavies.blogspot.com/
I wrote this: http://www.manning.com/snyder/

On 25 Jun 2010, at 17:33, Colin Goodheart-Smithe wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Following up on our previous message, we have looked into this issue
> further.
>

> It appears that on durable subscriber start up, it ignores the message
> selector when calculating the pending queue size.
>

> Therefore it assumes the messages from the other subscribers are for
> that moment also on that durable subscriber. The message selector is
> still working (i.e we don't consume any messages we shouldn't off the
> subscriber).
>

> A test case has been posted on jira
> https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-2801
>

> Thank you.
>

> Colin
>

> Hi,
>

> We are using ActiveMQ 5.3.2, and have encountered an issue where the
> "Pending queue size" values on JMX and the Admin console are incorrect,
> causing a system that uses the data stored in the ActiveMQ JMX to report
> incorrect information.
>

> The problem occurs when we have multiple durable connections to ActiveMQ
> with different selectors.
>

> The scenario is as follows:
>

> 1)       Start all durable subscriber connections (on Separate JVMs)
>
> each with different selectors.
>

> 2)       Publish messages to ActiveMQ that only matches one of
>
> selectors.
>

> 3)       Ensure some messages have been enqueued.
>

> 4)       Restart both subscribers.
>

> 5)       The other durable subscriber that was doing nothing
>
> unexpectedly reports a positive number for the "Pending queue size" when
> it should report 0.
>

> There are no pending messages on restarted durable subscriber; however
> JMX reports a positive number for the pending queue size and is exactly
> the enqueue count of the other subscriber.
>

> Has any one encountered this issue previously?
>

> Is there a resolution to this issue so that JMX reports the correct
> values?
>

> Thank you.
>

> Colin
>

> This message should be regarded as confidential. If you have received this email in error
please notify the sender and destroy it immediately.
> Statements of intent shall only become binding when confirmed in hard copy by an authorised
signatory.  The contents of this email may relate to dealings with other companies within
the Detica Limited group of companies.