activemq-users mailing list archives

From cobrien <clark_obr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Priority message
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2010 19:40:59 GMT

I can't say much not knowing your use cases but perhaps  deploying  a
multiple queue architecture  might meet your requirements better then
relying on queue priority. see
http://activemq.apache.org/producer-flow-control.html on flow control.

The JMS spec does not require messages to be delivered strictly in order of
priority and most JMS implementations  don't allow one to make assumptions
on the order of delivery other then high priority messages generally are
delivered before low priority messages.
The  JMS spec reads:
"JMS does not require that a provider strictly implement priority ordering
of messages; however, it should do its best to deliver expedited messages
ahead of normal messages."

This gives providers room for implementations that don't starve out low
priority messages but results in a degree of unpredictability.

 -clark
 http://www.ttmsolutions.com