activemq-users mailing list archives

From Timothy Bish <>
Subject Re: activemq-cpp 3.2.0 vs2005-build directory is missing
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2010 12:59:53 GMT
On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 10:19 +0100,
> I have just tried to build activemq-cpp 3.2.0 for Microsoft-Windows (XP
> SP3) using Visual Studio 2005 (aka vc8) but it does not build. It looks
> like the directory vs2005-build has gone missing.
> Copying the one from 3.1.0 into 3.2.0 does not work either. It fails to
> find the command msbuild, whatever that is.
> I would to see activemq-cpp use a platform-independent build system. There
> are several to choose from. This would make it easier to support multiple
> platforms, particularly Microsoft-Windows as well as Unix-like systems.
> The one I use is MPC, MakeProjectCreator. I have heard that CMake is also
> popular. I dont mind very much which one is chosen but I think it would be
> useful to choose one of them, rather than maintain different build systems
> manually. If other peole don't mind which build system is used and don't
> mind moving to a cross-platform build system then I volunteer to provide
> MPC files. If we moved in this direction we could still include the
> generated Makefiles in the distro so that it compiles for Unix out of the
> box.
> Regards,

Cross platform build tools are a myth really, the CMake and the other
tool don't provide support of legacy platforms like older HP-UX and AIX
that are required for ActiveMQ-CPP, the Autoconf tools work across every
unix OS we've needed so far.

You're welcome to come up with a solution for creating Windows build
files and contribute that to the project, the simplest approach would
probably be to create a set of MSBuild files that could build the
library and other samples and test exe's, that would enable the command
line tools in the Windows 7 SDK to build the library.

Tim Bish

Open Source Integration:
ActiveMQ in Action:

Follow me on Twitter: