activemq-users mailing list archives

From Timothy Bish <tabish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: activemq-cpp and solutions written in C
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2010 18:47:24 GMT
On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 11:30 -0700, ararog wrote:
> I strongly considering to write the C version by getting some inspiration on
> CPP version, what you think?
>
> Not sure if I should write it from scratch by reading the spec or get some
> help by reading activemq-cpp code.

Well you could start from scratch and try to write a very small tight C
library, but it depends on the feature set you eventually want have in
the C client.

ActiveMQ-CPP has come a long way over the years and has or will have
support for things like failover and SSL connectivity along with a large
array of unit tests and integration tests, so you'd be starting all over
if you went the route of writing a pure C client.  It seems like it
shouldn't be to hard to write a wrapper library in C to expose the
features of the CMS API to C clients in a user friendly way, I even
created a module in the ActiveMQ-CPP svn base called ActiveMQ-C to do
just that but I just haven't had the time to work on it.  If you wanted
to take a crack at it I'd be glad to test builds and commit patches to
svn along those lines.

Reusing what already exists in the C++ client seems like the smart thing
to me but I can see the argument for starting from scratch on a C client
for the C purists out there.  Either way I'd be glad to help out when I
can and answer questions if you need help.

Regards

--
Tim Bish

My Blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/