activemq-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spring && DefaultMessageListenerContainer && JmsTemplate && maxMessagesPerTask == 1 && Network of Brokers && maxConcurrentConsumer > 1 == Crumple
Date Sat, 08 May 2010 00:16:48 GMT
On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Jamie McCrindle
<jamiemccrindle@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> After some weeks of scratching my head, I _believe_ I have found the
> magic combination that appears to be causing messages to become stuck
> in our network of brokers. It's so convoluted that it's entirely
> likely that the error isn't what I think it is but I have managed to
> create a test case that mirrors the behaviour we're seeing live. And
> it goes something like this:
>
> We have two brokers in a network of brokers. Producers were publishing
> to a queue on one of the brokers and consumers reading off the queue
> in the other broker. After a short while, messages would suddenly pile
> up on the 'producer' broker and not get read off on the 'consumer'
> broker.
>
> Pause for lots of random testing...
>
> It appeared that the network bridge subscription from the 'consumer'
> broker was disappearing from the 'producer' broker, causing the pile
> up.
>
> More testing later...
>
> And it looks like if we have a DefaultMessageListenerContainer with
> the following configuration:
>
> maxMessagesPerTask: 1
> cacheLevel: CONSUMER
> maxConcurrentConsumer: 3 (more than 1, basically)
> concurrentConsumers: 1
> sessionAcknowledgeMode: Session.AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE
>
> When Spring scales back the dynamic amount of consumers, the network
> subscription appears to get lost and messages pile up on the producer
> side.
>
> Workaround:
>
> Use concurrentConsumers instead of maxConcurrentConsumers so that
> there are a static number of consumers (not setting maxMessagesPerTask
> also seems to work).

If this is a topology of more than two brokers, you may want to try
setting the suppressDuplicateQueueSubscriptions=true on the network
connector to improve the dispatching sufficiency. It essentially
eliminates some of the duplicate routes to a given consumer. More info
is available here:

http://activemq.apache.org/networks-of-brokers.html#NetworksofBrokers-NetworkConnectorProperties

Also, there is a prefetchSize property on the network connector that
is not documented on the ActiveMQ website. You may try setting that to
1 on the network connector.

Bruce
-- 
perl -e 'print unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*"
);'

ActiveMQ in Action: http://bit.ly/2je6cQ
Blog: http://bruceblog.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Mime
View raw message