activemq-users mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Broker hangs and cant restart it
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2010 03:44:07 GMT
On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 9:25 PM, alisenberg <lisenberg@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is the scenario:
>
> I open three web admin consoles and send 10.000 messages from each console
> at the same time. Each message is about 50k. I mark persistence. And all
> messages go to the same queue. When the Queue receives 20.000 messages, the
> broker appears to hang.
> I can see that tmp_storage is consuming all the allocated space so the “Temp
> percent used” reaches 100%.
>
> My first question is, why tmp_storage is growing if all messages were marked
> as persistent?
>
> After the broker hangs, I try to shut it down, but the only way is to force
> kill it.
>
> Second question: even if the tmp_storage is full, why the broker is not
> shutting down in a normal way?
>
> After killing it, I restart it but it hangs and does not complete the
> initialization.
>
> But, if I configure the “tempUsage” a Little bit higher, then the broker
> starts again and the problem gets solved.
>
> So, my last question is, why I need to increase tempUsage in order to
> restart the broker?

What version of ActiveMQ are you using? How have you configured the
broker? Are you using the default configuration? What do you mean that
the broker is hanging? Are you unable to send anymore messages to it?

I think your pursuit of the tempUsage is a red herring. Instead, I
think what you are experiencing is producer flow control:

http://activemq.apache.org/producer-flow-control.html

Trying disabling producer flow control via the conf/activemq.xml
config and see what happens.

Bruce
);'

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/