activemq-users mailing list archives

From john robens <jrob...@interlated.com.au>
Subject ActiveMQ using too much bandwidth
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2010 01:56:30 GMT
Hi

We are trying to use activemq/camel to keep a web-site external to the
organisation in sync. We send a delta update every 10 minutes.  Because it
is hosted outside the organisation there are bandwidth limits.

We are using ActiveMQ with Apache Camel and there are 2xroutes. The
2xroutes/queues are the the route that runs every 10 minutes and one that
runs daily. This configuration results in approximately 50kb/s of traffic -
openwire negotiations and temporary topic/queue information.

We are interested in tuning this - can activeMQ be set to only perform
advisory updates slowly? Once a minute would be fine as this is a low
latency application. We were planning on rolling this type of technology out
to 1000 clients to keep them up-to-date - at this scale this traffic would
be quite expensive.

ActiveMQ spring config is simply:

<broker:broker useJmx="false" persistent="false" brokerName="tcp">
        <broker:destinationPolicy>
            <broker:policyMap>
                <broker:policyEntries>
          <!--          <broker:policyEntry topic=">"
advisoryForConsumed="true"/>  -->
                </broker:policyEntries>
            </broker:policyMap>
        </broker:destinationPolicy>

        <broker:transportConnectors>
            <broker:transportConnector name="tcp" uri="${activemq.uri}"/>
        </broker:transportConnectors>
    </broker:broker>

Attached is a pcap file with transactions and data dump.

Maven project, simply deployed as a spring jar with:
Activemq :5.3.0
Camel: 2.2.0

Thanks
John